The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a state statute that provides the public the right to access government documents and records. The law provides that a person can ask a public body for a copy of its records on a specific subject and the public body must provide those records, unless there is an exemption in the statute that protects those records from disclosure (for example: records containing information concerning trade secrets or personal privacy).
The Joliet Park District complies with the intent and spirit of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is the principal Illinois statutory enactment governing the inspection of public records.
The FOIA provides access to all "agency records", except those which are specifically exempted within the Act. Exemptions are listed in Section 7 of the FOIA. Further, the FOIA permits "any person" to request access agency records.
How to submit a FOIA request?
The following are instructions on how to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the Joliet Park District:
1. Please make your request for records in writing. The Joliet Park District does not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose. You may submit your written request by mail, fax or e-mail. Please direct your request to one of the following:
|FOIA Officer Matthew Pehle||FOIA Officer Brad Staab||FOIA Officer Tom Carstens|
|Joliet Park District||Joliet Park District||Joliet Park District|
|3000 W. Jefferson Street||3000 W. Jefferson Street||3000 W. Jefferson Street|
|Joliet, IL 60435||Joliet, IL 60435||Joliet, IL 60435|
|Fax (815) 741-7280||Fax (815) 741-7280||Fax (815) 741-7280|
|Email: email@example.com||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Email: email@example.com|
2. Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. To the extent that you wish to ask questions of a representative of the Joliet Park District, you may call our Administrative Office at 815-741-7275 Ext. 117, to be directed to the proper person.
3. Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
4. There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a charge of .15 cent per page.
5. You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: "I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request." In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest--not simply your personal interest--and merits a fee waiver.
6. Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your electronic mail address.
How do I appeal a denial?
In the event of a denial, you may either file a Request for Review with the Attorney General's Public Access Counselor (PAC), or file a lawsuit in court. For complete information, contact PAC at:Sarah Pratt Public Access Counselor Public Access Bureau 500 S. 2nd Street Springfield, Illinois 62706 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
FOIA Hotline: 1-877-299-FOIA (1-877-299-3642)
What records are available?
- Accident, Injury and Incident Reports
- Accounts Payable and Receivable Records
- Annual Financial Report
- Attorney Bios
- Bid Records
- Bill, Check, Invoice, Voucher and Warrant Listings
- Board of Commissioners Information
- Board of Commissioners Agendas and Meeting Minutes
- Bond Records
- Business License Records
- Capital Improvement Plan
- Certificates of Publications, Meeting Notices, Legal Notices and Press Releases
- Election Records
- Insurance Policies
- Investment Records
- Ledgers, Journals and Registers (General, Utilities, Accounts Payable and Receivable, etc.)
- List of Board and Commissions
- Material Safety Data Sheets
- Officials' Oaths, Bonds and Appointments
- Ordinance and Document Index
- Ordinances, Resolutions, Proclamations and Motions
- Tax Levy Records
- Treasurer's Reports
- Vendor Records
- Work Orders and Service Requests
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions