Sunshine & Rainbows Learning Center Parents have asked that we implement a Drop-off and Pick-up procedure for students enrolled in our Learning Center.
We have implemented a procedure to be used for all students. We need your help to keep the children safe. Every child's safety is important to us. It remains our highest priority to ensure that students enter and exit cars in a safe and organized way. We ask everyone to correctly follow our new drop-off and pick-up procedures. Failure to do so will create chaos, frustration and unsafe conditions. Each family should discuss these new loading procedures.
- Be your child's best example. Please be courteous and follow all safety guidelines at all times.
- No arrivals prior to listed times. No supervision is provided.
- Follow all directions from school safety personnel. They may see potential problems you can't.
- Students are to be picked-up promptly at dismissal. There is no supervision after school hours.
- Devote more time and be extra cautious on snowy, rainy, or foggy days. Drive with your headlights on, to see and to be seen.
- Please drive slowly and watch for children.
- Note that traffic through campus is ONEWAY, so it is important that you always enter and exit correctly and carefully.
- Please use the curb in front of the carpool door for drop-offs and pick-ups only - NO PARKING.
- Teachers will not be available during drop-off and pick-up for discussions with parents. You will need to make an appointment or send a written note to your child's teacher.
- Do not use your cell phone while driving in the drop-off and pick-up lane.
- Pull as far forward as possible before dropping - off and loading your children.
- Children should exit and enter on the driver's side only.
- Drop-off and pick-up is in the yellow curb and safety cone areas and directed by Park District Staff.
- Do not pass other vehicles to pull in front of them to pick up your child.
- Once your child is in the vehicle, you may pull carefully out when directed by Park District Staff.
- Cones are placed in front of the main driveway to prevent cars from pulling in and blocking our drop-off and pick-up safety lane zone.
- It will take a few extra minutes of your time to utilize the drop-off and pick-up safety lane zone when school begins and lets out but please recognize that teachers, parent volunteers, and I are working quickly to unload and load students safely into cars and to keep traffic moving.
- When dropping your child off, pull into the Multi-Purpose Parking lot using the last row after the Stop Sign.
- Please drive along the sidewalk and remain in your car until you are motioned to have your child helped out. We recommend that if your child is upset, let us quickly take them from your car to class. Should your child remain upset (which is rare) we will call you after 20 minutes for advice.
- Please follow the directions of the traffic volunteers.
- Form one drop-off line.
- Please pull up as close to the curb as possible.
- Do not stop your vehicle to unload passengers to the left of other vehicles or in the center of the parking lot.
- Have your child exit your vehicle from the left side doors only.
- Do not get out of your car.
- Teachers will escort your child to the building and classroom.
- Drop-off will begin at 8:50am and end at 9:10am for Morning session. Drop-off for Afternoon session will begin at 12:00pm and end at 12:10pm.
If you arrive after 9:15am or 12:15pm, and there is no one outside to greet your child, please park your car and walk your child inside through the door. Please put all of your child's belongings in the classroom cubbies before you bring them to the classroom.
When a child is late and is walked in by the parents, teachers will greet the child and parent. However, we encourage the parents to not engage in lengthy conversation with the teachers because this takes time away from the other children and the day's planned activities.
- Pick-up is the same as drop-off.
- When picking up your child, parents will need to use the placard for their car window that shows the child's name, teacher's name and room number. Please make sure the placard is visible in the driver's window as you arrive to pick up your child. This will help staff to locate your child more quickly.
- Do not exit your vehicle.
- All students will be led by their classroom teachers to the gym. There, students will be dismissed through the carpool line.
- Teachers will escort your child and his or her belongings to your car.
- Once your child is safely in your vehicle in his/her booster seat with his/her seatbelt fastened, please exit the pick-up line to make room for more cars.
- If your child is not available when you arrive at the pick-up area, you may be asked to drive around again. This helps prevent excessive delays while teachers relocate children to the right place.
- Pick-up will begin at 11:15 & 11:30am for morning session. Pick-up for afternoon will begin at 2:15pm & 2:30pm.
- During morning and afternoon drop-off and pick-up; enter the Multi-Purpose Parking lot using the last lane after the Stop Sign and follow the traffic pattern to the yellow cones.
- Placards are to be placed in the driver's side window at each pick up time. Students also need to have laminated name cards clipped on their jackets or coats on arrival and dismissal. (We have 250 students enrolled at Sunshine & Rainbows and although staff may know your child from seeing them in the halls and during school group activities if the staff has not had your child in our class we may not know your child's name.)
- Children will enter and exit the vehicle through the driver's side.
- Do not converse with staff members assisting in the drop-off and pick-up procedures. If you have something to communicate to your child's teacher, please put it in writing and hand it to the staff member assisting your child. The staff member will make sure the note is delivered to your child's teacher.
- All parents will wait until all children are safely loaded into the cars in the loading zone area.
- All parents in the loading zone area will wait for the all clear signal from staff before moving.
- All siblings will report to their older sibling dismissal line.
- Do not talk on your cell phone.
- Understand that the goal and the focus of the staff member is to assist the children into the Learning Center in a safe and timely manner.
If you would like to printout the drop off and pick up procedures, please click the button below. Thank you ahead of time for your continuing support in making Sunshine & Rainbows a safe and productive environment.